APPSC Group I – Reference Books
PAPER – II :
History and Cultural Heritage of India with Emphasis on
Century History of India
1. R.C. Majumdar – Raya Choudhari & Datta – Advanced
History of India.
2. D.D. Kosambi – An Historical Outline of Indian Culture
and History. 3. A.R. Desai – Social Background of Indian
4. Sumit Sarkar – Writing Social History.
5. S.C. RayaChoudhary – Social Cultural and Economic
History of India. (Earliest
Times to Present Times)
6. M.N.Srinivas – Social Change in Modern India.
7. Bipin Chandra – Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism.
8. K.N. Panikar – Culture and Ideology in Colonial India.
9. Kenneth Jones – Social and Religious Reform Movement in India.
10. V.A. Narayan – Social Reforms in Modern India.
11. Tarachand – A History of the Freedom Movement in India Vol.I &II.
12. Sumit Sarkar – Modern India.
13. A.R. Desai – Peasants Struggle in India.
14. R.S. Sarma- Indian Feudalism – Comprehensive History of India – Vol. 10
15. N.V. Bhattacharya – Medieval Movements in India.
16. Romila Thapar – Ancient Indian Social History.
17. K.A. Nilakanta Sastry – A History of South India.
18. Romila Thapar – History of India – Vol. I & II.
19. R.S. Sharma – Material Culture and Social Formation in Ancient India.
20. A.L. Bashom – The Cultural History of India.
21. A.L. Srivastavan – History of India from 1000 to 1707.
22. S.R. Sharma – Mughul Rule in India.
23. J.L. Mehta – Advanced Studies in the History of Medieval India – Vol. I & I
24. Bipin Chandra _ Nationalisam and Colonialism in Modern India.
25. Omredt Gail – Cultural Revolt in a Colonial Society. The Non-Brahman m
26. V. Geetha and Rajadurai – Towards Non-Brahmin Millenium.
27. O.Hanlon Rosalind – Caste, Conflict and Ideology, Mahatma Jyotirao Phu
Caste Protest in 19th Century Western India.
28. Dananjaya Keer – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s Life History.
29. R.P.Tripathi & A.R. Desai – Social Background of Indian Nationalism. 30. Bipin Chandra – Essays
in Contemporary India.
PAPER – II:
Social and Cultural History of Andhra Pradesh.
1. S.C. Raya Choudhari – Social Cultural and Economic History of India. (Earliest Times to Present
2. R.C. Majumdar – Raa Choudhari and Datta – Advanced History of India.
3. A.R. Desai – Social Background of Indian Nationalism.
4. Sumit Sarkar – Writing Social History.
5. M.N. Srinivas – Social Change in Modern India.
6. V.A. Narayan – Social Reforms in Modern India.
7. Kenneth Jones – Social and Religious Reform Movement in India.
8. K.A. Nilakanta Sastry – A History of South India.
9. K. Satyanarayana – A Study of History and Culture of Andhras Vol. I & II.
10. K. Balendu Sekharan – The Andhras through the Ages.
11. B.V. Krishna Rao – Early Dynasties of Andhra Desa.
12. V. Ramakrishna – Social Reforms in Andhra.
13. N. Venkata Ramanaiah – Andhrula Charitra (Telugu)
14. M. RamaRao – Satavahana Sanchika (Telugu)
15. M.V. Ramanaiah – Eastern Chalukyas of Vengi.
16. D.C. Ganguly- Eastern Chalukyas.
17. B.S.L. Hanumantha Rao – Indian History and Culture – Vol. I & II. 18. Bhandakar – Early History
of the Deccan.
19. Gopala Chary – Early History of the Andhra Country.
20. Suravaram Pratap Reddy – Andhrula Sanghika Charitra (Telugu). 21. P.V. Parabrahma Sastry –
22. P. Raghunadha Rao – History of Modern Andhra Pradesh.
23. Sarojini Regani – Nizam British Relations – 1724 – 1857.
24. Sarojini Regani – High Lights of Freedom Movement in Andhra Pradesh.
25. A.V. Koti Reddy – Andhra Pradesh History – Samuskruthi.
26. M. Venkata rangaiah – The Freedom struggle in Andhra Pradesh – Vol. I & II.
27. G.V. Subba Rao – The Freedom Struggle in Hyderabad State – Vol. I to IV.
28. Y . Balarama Murthy – Andhrula Samkshipta Charitra (Telugu).
29. Madapati Hanumantha Rao – Telangana Andhrodyamamu (Telugu) Vol. I & II.
30. D. Ramanuja Rao – Telangana Jateeyodhyamamulu (Telugu). 31. Veladurthy Manikya Rao –
Hydserabadlo Swatantrodhyamamu (Telugu).
PAPER – II:
Aravind S. Indian Administration – Himalaya Publishing House, New Delhi, 1992.
Austin Graneille, Working Democratic Constitution: The Indian Experience, Oxford 1999.
Avasti and Avasti, Indian Administration, Lakshmi Narain Agarwal, Agra, 1998.
Basu, D.D.., An introduction to the Constitution of India, Prentice Hall, New Delhi, 2006.
General Studies Manual, Tata Mc.Graw Hills, New Delhi, 2008.
Gapta M.C.and Kamal N. KABRA. Public Administration in India. Gyan Publishing House, New Delhi,
Hoshiar Singh and Mohinder Singh, Public Administration in India, Sterling Publishes, New Delhi, 1995.
Jam R.B. Public Administration in India: 21st Century Challenges for Good Governance, Deep and Deep
Publications, New Delhi, 2002. Krishna K. Tummala, Public Administration in India, Allied Publishers
Limited, New Delhi, 1996.
Kashyap Subhash, C. Our Constitution, NBT, New Delhi, 1994. Kashyap Subhash, C. Our Parliament,
NBT, New Delhi, 1994. Laxmikanth, Indian Polity, Tata Mc.Graw Hills, New Delhi, 2008.
Padma Ramachandran, Public Administration in India, National Book Trust, New Delhi, 1995.
Premalatha Sharma, Issues in Indian Administration, Mangaldeep Publications, Jaipur, 1998.
Ramesh K. Arora, Indian Administration: Perceptions and Perspectives, Aalekh Publications, 2000.
Ramesh K. Arora and Rajni Goyal, Indian Public Administration, Institution and Issues, Wishwa
Prakashan, New Delhi, 2004.
Robert I., Hardgray, Indian Government and Politics, Harcour Drace, 1975.
Rajani Kothari, Polities in India, Orient Longman, Delhi, 1970.
Saran Parmatma and Meenakshi, Public Administration in India, Mudranalaya Publishers, New Delhi,
Siwach. J.R. Dynamics of Indian Government and Politics, Sterling, New Delhi, 1985.
Sriram Maheshwari, Indian Administration, Orient Longman, New Delhi, 2000.
he Constitution of India, Government of India, 2006.
PAPER – III:
1. J.C. Dhingra, Indian Economy: Environment & Policy, Sultan Chand, New Delhi (recent Edn.,
say2007) Or any text book on Indian Economy written by say Dutt & Sindaram, Mishra & Puri or
2. For recent data & policy changes, above book is to be complemented by the Govt. of India, Economic
Survey 2007-08, Ministry of Finance, New Delhi (recent edn. Say 2008) (The above books cover 1/3rd
of the syllabus on Indian Economy).
3. Govt. of A.P. Human Development Report 2007, A.P. CESS, Begumpet, Hyderabad, 2008.
4. RSRao et al (Eds), Fifty Y ears of AP 1956-2006, CDR & Communication, Rd 3, Himayathnagar,
5. VH Rao et al (eds), AP at Fifty, CDR & Communication, Rd 3, Himayatnagar, Hyderabad, 1998.
6. CH Hanumantha Rao & Mahendra Dev(eds), AP Development, Economic Reforms & Challenges
Ahead, CESS, Begumpet, Hyderabad, 2004.
7. Y .V. Krishna Rao & S Subrahmanyam (Eeds), Development of AP 1956-01 – A Study of Regional
Disparities, NER Research Centre, Vishalandhra Publishers, Hyderabad, 22.
8. Dynamics of AP Economy vis-à-vis Indian Economy with Focus on Regi
onal Disparities, NAD (to be
The above 3 to 8 works are to be supplemented by Statistical Abstract of AP (recent year) & Socio-
Economic Survey of AP, Govt. of A.P., Hyderabad, 2007-08.
PAPER – IV:
Section I and III:
1. Science & Technology – 2007 : Publication – Hindu Publications.
2. Science & Technology of Nano materials : Author – N . Balakrishna R
Krishna Reddy : Publication: Campus Book International
3. Sustainable Development and Environment : Author: A.K. De, N.C. Gup Publication: Cosmo
4. Text Book of Environmental Science & Technology : Author: Dr. M. An Publication: B.S.
5. Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science : Author: Gilbert M. Masters
6. Environmental Studies : Author: Manoj Tiwari Publication: J.K. International publishing house
Publication: J.K. International publishing house Pvt. Ltd.
General awareness with the modern trends in life sciences
Unit – I
1. Industrial Microbiology by L.E. Casida; New age international pvt. Ltd.
2. Fermentation Technology by Stanbury & Whitaker, Butterworth – Heinemann
3. Industrial Microbiology by Presscott & Donn; Tata Mc Graw Hill Publishing Ltd.
4. Elements of Biotechnology by – P.K. Gupta; Rastogi .co
Unit – II
1. Text book of Botany by A.C. Datta
2. Introductory Botany by Ashok Bindre & P.C.Pande; Rastogi Publishing.
3. Text book of Animal Husbandry by E.C. Banerjee.
Unit – III
1. Biotechnology – 4 by S. Mahesh, A.B. Vedamurthy
2. Understanding Biotechnology by Aluizio Borem, Fabricio R. Santosh & David E
3. Molecular Biotechnology by S.B. Primrose; Blackwell Scientific Publishers.
4. Plant tissue Culture – Theory and practice by S.S. Bhojwani, M.R. Razdan.
Unit – IV
1. Text book of Microbiology by Pelczar; TMH
2. Medical Microbiology by Anantanarayana
3. Microbiology by Panjarathinam 4. Essentials of Biology and Biotechnology by Bir Bhadine; Pharma
Unit – V
1. Immunology by Kubay, Goldby, Kindy, Obsorne
2. Immunology by Riott
3. Immunology by Schamu’s outlines
4. Lecture note on Immunology by Gordon Reeves, Ian Todd, Blackweel Publishers.
PAPER – V:
Data Interpretation and Problem Solving
1. Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics by S.C. Gupta and V.K. Kapoor Sultan Chand & Sons.
2. Statistical Methods by S.P. Gupta – Sultan Chand & Sons.
3. Programmed Statistics (Questions – Answers) by B.L. Agarwal – New Age International Publishers.
4. Statistics by Elhance.
5. Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Aggarwal – S. Chand & Co.
6. Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Panden – BSC Publication.